Ecclesia Skeptika

Apr 21, 1996 05:10 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960421074530_474688106@emout18.mail.aol.com>,
Drpsionic@aol.com writes
>Alan,
>Sorry, with the D.D. after your name I thought you had all the ecclesiastical
>paraphenalia.

I got miter and stuff - redundant now.

>Chuck the Barbaric Sinner MTI, FTSA

That was for research into obscure byways of Christian History during my
ecclesiastical period - like 1985.  As I have said elsewhere, I've moved
on from any kind of conventional Xtianity.  Some time I must try to post
an essay or two showing where I've been and where I've come to.

To be more precise, I was awarded the D.D. for my "Bishops Irregular" -
a directory of Independent Bishops.  This includes all the known bishops
of the Liberal Catholic Church up to that time, and a 1989 suppelement
(printed privately to order) added quite a few more - in all there are
around 1,500 names tracing various lines of apostolic succession
(including mine) back to the 17th century in the Roman Church, when the
first consecration took place that was to lead eventually to the
phenomenon which, id the fulness of time, enabled film star Anthony
Hopkins of "Psycho" fame to get a certificate of ordination and perform
marriages.  Other theosophically minded folk (like Stefan Hoeller) are
bishops in some outfit or another.  As one such said to me (speaking
from California): "Shake a tree round here and ten bishops fall out."

My book had the honor of becoming a standard work, so that students in
this field still say "Have you got a copy of Bain?" - and I have *not*
been cloned! :-)

The issuing body was St. Ephrem's Institute for Eastern Christianity
Studies in Sweden, which is actually my primary interest in the Xtian
area - especially the Church of the East (as distinct from the Western
Roman one) with its Aramaic and Pharisaic connections.  I could witter
on about that for hours ... [See my *The Nazarenes - a Speculative
Enquiry into Christian Origins* - privately published and available by
E-mail].

Alan :-)
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: