consistency and inconsistency

Apr 19, 1996 07:32 PM
by Vegetarian Resource Center

At 01:23 AM 4/19/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 06:02 PM 4/18/96 -0400, alexis dolgorukii wrote:
>>> Suffice it to say that HPB's position is clear, and anyone is free to
>>> disagree with her if they choose.
>>
>>	Yeah, clear as mud.
>>
>>	Jerry S.
>>	Member, TI
>>
>>I don't know about "clear as mud" but I do know, that like so many other
>aspects of her personality and teaching it is certainly inconstant. But then
>"inconsistancy is the hobgoblin of tiny mainds", and she certainly didn't
>have a tiny mind. The problem is, many of those who have diefied her, the
>"Masters" and Theosophy itself, do.
>
>alexis dolgorukii
>member TI. FTSA

Seems to me that the quote was originally:

"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

In other words, the Transcendentalist author of that
statement seemed to believe that there are some issues
of detail that are insignificant and that belaboring
the demand for consistency when it is inappropriate
is merely a foolish mental habit for those who cannot
see the world and its reality, and understand the broader
issues involved.

Was it Emerson or Thoreau who penned those words?
(one or the other - my memory fades with the passing of the
years - perhaps it's the lack of B-12 in the vegan diet)

Maynard S. Clark        	vrc@tiac.net          info@vegetarian.org
Vegetarian Resource Center, P. O. Box 38-1068, Cambridge,  MA  02238-1068
617-625-3790 (Voice, or Fax by arrangement)   617-357-2064 or 2194 (Facsimile)

Listowner: Geographical - VEG-FL, VEG-NE (check out Regl Veg Project)
Topical: Veg-BIZ, Veg-EDU, Veg-ORG,
Special Groups:  Veg-PARENT, Veg-REL, Veg-SINGLE, Veg-TEEN
http://www.tiac.net/users/vrc/vrc.html
Visit and Use our Research Library at the Peace Abbey in Sherborn MA.

      Build a vegetarian network!      Find countless other vegetarians.
A Simple, 1-Stop Contact for Vegetarian Information Retrieval-Referral-Advice
There are countless vegetarian resources; we'll show you how to find them...