Re: Netiquette guidelines and the future of Theos-l, etc.

Apr 19, 1996 00:45 AM
by Bee Brown

>At 06:20 PM 4/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>>3. Making everyone feel very comfortable no matter what their views and
>>>opinions are.
>>
>>	I would like everyone to feel comfortable too.  But sometimes
>>we see ideas being posting that we strongly feel are wrong, and it is
>>our duty to present an alternative view.  Else, all the newbies and lurkers
>>will get the wrong information, and have to spend several extra lifetimes
>>to get back on the right track.  The problem then, is, how do we go about
>>this without hurting feelings or making someone "uncomfortable?"
>>
>>	Jerry S.
>>	Member, TI
>>
>>Jerry: That is a very good question indeed. But is that actually the
>character of this list? After all, ever since I subscribed it has seemed a
>place where advanced theosophists of strongly different views and beliefs
>about theosophy compared and argued those views. Is it really the kind of
>place that could make "everybody comfortable no matter what their views and
>opinions are"? We certainly can, and usually do, if those positions and
>beliefs are strong enough and secure enough. Now, new comers (newbies) can
>certainly "lurk" and ask questions and learn a lot from this diverse group.
>But it's good to remeber in Krotona, new people were required to be silent
>and listen for seven years before asking their first question. I'm sure
>there are places where "everybody is comfortable" and I am also sure this
>isn't one of them. BUT it is, I think, very usefuyl to a great number of us.
>
>alexis dolgorukii
>member TI, FTSA

Here I am again. Like a little gnat, I am.:-) It seems simple enough to just
disagree with each other in a caring and civilised manner. It is easy to get
emotional and get over the top with a post that pushes a button or two. (I
am as guilty of this as others) but I do try to remember that we are all
entitled to our opinions no matter how strange they may be at this time and
this list hopefully is a place to explore our opinions without being put
down. I try to remember something I was told earlier in my life, 'Don't take
away someone's belief unless you have a better one to replace it' and that
becomes an ego trip to suppose that I might have a better one so I try to
live and let live.

Bee Brown
Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
Theos Int & L