Re: ethics and morality

Apr 18, 1996 01:34 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>Four points:  1)  Most people fail to know what a "good intention" really is.
> 2)  If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, can you imagine the
>road paved with bad intentions?  3)  I have a feeling that this cliche refers
>to people who have good intentions but do nothing with them, do not act on
>them.  4)  A good intention does not mean that no mistakes will be made.  A
>good intention (defined correctly), however, in my belief, lessens the impact
>of the mistake.

	One quick example:  Christians used to kill heathens with
the most morally upright intentions in the world.  The heathen lived
in sin.  Every day they lived added more misery to their time in Hell
where they would surely go after they died.  So, by killing them now,
they were sparing them from extra torture in Hell.  Thus they were
doing good.  And all in the name of the Lord to boot.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI