Re: ethics and morality

Apr 18, 1996 06:15 AM
by Coherence

>First I'd like to point out that in every case I know of, both "morality"
>(religion based) and Ethics (Socially based) are entirely culturally
>specific. They are neither of them at all "Universals".

This does not mean that a Universal ethic does not exist.

>Second: If one behaves well, i.e. is either "moral" or "ethical" or both,
>because one believes in Karma, then it is hardly either "selfless" or
>"disregarding of results". It seems to me that one should "behave well"
>because that is how one is, and it thusly requires no thought at all to do
so.

Agreed.

>Think about Torquemada, Savanarola, and Hitler, I am certain each of those
persons
>felt their intent was perfectly virtuous, and yet each one of them is
>responsible for untold harm.

They apparently thought wrong, and their intent was obviously not Universal
in nature.

>The old cliche about "hell is paved with good
>intentions" is one of the most true truisms

Four points:  1)  Most people fail to know what a "good intention" really is.
 2)  If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, can you imagine the
road paved with bad intentions?  3)  I have a feeling that this cliche refers
to people who have good intentions but do nothing with them, do not act on
them.  4)  A good intention does not mean that no mistakes will be made.  A
good intention (defined correctly), however, in my belief, lessens the impact
of the mistake.

> It seems to me that being
>altruistic by intention carries with it the strong implication that one is
>"striving" for some goal, and then the goal, which would be "altruism"
>becames part of a "goal oriented process" which is then hardly altruistic

I don't follow your premises to your conclusion.  Believing as I do what we
are told in Big T, we are at the point where the way is "up or down".  To set
a goal, to visualize an ideal indicates that there is the recognition that
there is something to strive for, and we can choose what direction that will
be in.  But no sooner is each goal reached when we realize that there is the
next goal, and the next and the next.  Like steps.  Like our days.  Following
those steps, one day at a time, leads us on.  I see nothing more admirable
than to set altruism as a goal or an ideal, as opposed to its opposite, and
the fact that it is a process should not be a problem for you of all people,
as that is your definition of theosophy.  We have set behaviours in motion
which need to be altered.  If we are to reach people with theosophy, we first
point the direction, then show them that right thought, right motive, right
action can be LEARNED.  It (altruism, the feeling of Universal Brotherhood)
is not spontaneous in the masses of people.  To say that it should be
immediately eliminates the vast majority because in them, it is not, and if
you are not willing to teach them, they will be lost for long periods.

>Being naturally good is one thing, trying to be good is another thing
>altogether because it implies an awareness that the goal has yet to be
reached.

And what could be more admirable or rewarding than seeing that light go on in
someone where they finally become AWARE that their goal is yet to be reached
or that there is a better alternative to their wretched lives? The despair of
life for most people comes from not being aware of what the right goal should
be, that which should be strived for, fought for along with the realization
that ALL can reach it, of their own volition and efforts, and not subject to
the whim of a vengeful God.

Intent, motive, the thought that is the basis for and precedes all action, is
everything, because it is intent that colors the action.  I believe that we
are beyond results, for if there is a concern in the result, we are bound by
the action.  Let the result come however it may, content that our motive was
correct, i.e. universal.  If we make a mistake, we learn.  If good comes,
then, as it should be.  To counter with a cliche, another truest of truisms,
"It's not winning or loosing, but how you play the game."

Greg H (sounding like Eldon)