Re:theosophy & psychism

Apr 17, 1996 12:13 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

Daniel:

I have some comments on this genral topic.

One it seems to me that the history of the theosophical movement is rife
with the "thrid object" and it's many manifestations. I think it is post
Krishnamurti dabacle Theosophy that fears unrestrained psychism, and for
very good reasons. But HPB's wartnings agains "mediumship" were points well
made, and well put. However, it is a great mistake to confuse psycism and
mediumship. As HPB regularly pointed out "Mediumship" is unconscious and
uncontrollable by the medium, whereas conscious psychism is a totally
controllable activity" this is the distinction she was trying to make. She
never warned agains paranormal activity, how could she? And I am sure you
could provide numberless citations of her making the distinction between the
two types of activity.

What I think we see today, in the official theosophical disapproval of
anything but the intellectual discussion os psychism is based on fear. Fear
that the uncontrollable psychic activities (and unprovable) of the CWL era
(which runs all the way down to our own times in the persons of
Jinarajadasa, Arundale, and Taimini, might once again take the TS down roads
it no longer thinks it wise to travel. One can easily see why. To me, it's a
mistake, and it tends to denigrate the thrid object and ignore most modern
paranormal research. But I don't think that the TS's fear of spychism is
basic, only that it's realtively recent.

alexis dolgorukii