A Question or two to JRC

Apr 16, 1996 05:55 PM
by Blavatsky Foundation

JRC,

I have been reading the recent exchange between you and Eldon.
And I remember reading other exchanges between you and Eldon over the last
year or so.

In the extract below written by Eldon, he mentions the traditional Theosophical
view on psychism.  And I vaguely remember you stating many months ago on Theos-l
that the warnings given in the source teachings of Theosophy on psychism and
mediumship do not apply to what is happening today.  IF (?) I have more or
less stated your position, I
would ask you the following:

Could you state what you think the traditional Theosophical view is on
psychism and
supply the Theos-l audience with some citations from the early literature
that illustrate this
traditional stance?  Furthermore, I would like to know why you discount this
view.  Both
you and Eldon have this habit of writing sometimes in very general terms and
I find it very hard to follow exactly what you are both talking about.
Possibly you two could illustrate some of your differing viewpoints with
detailed examples, case histories  (something that the rest of us could sink
our teeth into!).

I personally am very much interested in psychic phenomena of all sorts.  I
follow very
closely all the latest developments in parapsychology and I have done alot
of study and
research on the Spiritualism of the 19th century.  I have even compiled in
MSS two  compilations:  one entitled  KRIYASHAKTI---CONSCIOUS AND
UNCONSCIOUS:  The Psychology of the Visionary Experience (The Theosophical
Perspective in the Writings of H.P. Blavatsky and the Adept-Teachers
[1874-1891]); and the other one entitled THE
PARANORMAL CASEBOOK:  A Collection of Ostensible Paranormal Experiences.

As soon as I can find it, I will also post on Theos-l a recently written
article by David Lane
on Eckankar, Visions and Psychic and Spiritual Experiences.  Some of his
major points
may be of some interest to you and Eldon as well as others on Theos-l.

Hoping that you and Eldon will take what I have said above as an
encouragement to engage
in a more constructive dialogue on a very important topic.

Daniel

Eldon recently wrote in part:

>I've been not making it a point of taking on the psychic stuff, by
either expressing my views on the subject in detail, nor by
providing citations from the theosophical literature regarding it.
But it seems like after a while, your resentment over my stray
comments accumulates to the point where you feel an outburst
against me is necessary, and I have to decide how to respond.

>You mention that I've taught you to "throw aside all notions of
empathizing with the point of view of another, and to simply state
my own perspective as forcefully as possible." That certainly was
not something I either try to practice or teach others.

>I suppose that you may get the feeling that I've been that way in
the past, because there have been times when you've posted things
and gotten praise. There have been times when I've been the only
person that attempts to contrast what you've said with a
traditional theosophical view, which you're quick to dismiss as
mere intellectual stuff.

>Perhaps because I tend to put most of what I say in my own words,
you cannot dismiss it like you might dismiss some of the
theosophical quotes that Bee has posted. Since I'm writing as my
ideas and my views, you have to dismiss *me* to silence them.