Re: misunderstandings/errors

Apr 13, 1997 09:45 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 09:04 PM 4/13/97 -0400, you wrote:
>PS
>I think it's pretty crummy to tease anyone about what they look like. Even
>if it's only a longish nose they have, they don't like to be teased about
>it. (Nazis did that to Jews) People get selfconscious about their looks,
>when someone else says they're odd, especially young teenagers, who're just
>growing into their adult features, and aren't quite used to them.
>
>I think most Americans don't know the difference between what a Chinese
>person looks like and what a Vietnamese. I've been told that Chinese and
>Japanese look different, but I can't tell, because I've never met many of
>them. I'm wure I couldn't tell a Chinese and a Vietnamese apart either. Some
>people can't tell black people apart. I can, because I was around them a lot
>when I worked. So sometimes, you must forgive people, if they ask you about
>your background, if it's done nicely, and not in a mean spirit. They may
>just not know and may just be inquiring.
>
>I don't like Polish jokes either, for the same reason. Everyone thinks their
>own ethnicity is the greatest, and I think it should stay that way. I
>wouldn't be surprised if Doss' Indian heritage goes all the way back to the
>Mahabarata. The surgeon who operated on my arm recently was Dr. Sivakumar,
>Dance of Siva, and the Kumaras who brought mind to mankind. I know that I'm
>proud of my German Jewish heritage. I belonged to a small clique of
>Frankfurt Jews who prided themselves on having lived in the middle ages in
>the same little ghetto street as the Rothchilds who lateron became famous
>bankers. We were an ambitious, prosperous and cultured lot. When I get too
>enthusiastic about my ancestry, I call myself a patrician Frankfurter. (hot
>dogs, boloney, and sausages, were invented in Frankfurt. We had a whole city
>block of sausage makers downtown.) I think the American mosaic is built on
>all those diverse ethnicities.
>
>liesel

Dear Liesel:  Wonderful post. If we just keep in mind that we are all first
and foremost human beings, all problems go away. Each one of us is important
and unique in our own way.

BTW, from the name, Sivakumar seems to suggest he is from South India, that
is where Adyar, Madras is located. Inquire of him if you run into him.

mkr