Instant results

Apr 12, 1996 06:10 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Well, here's a promise or warning that the heart chakra
meditation I talked about yesterday can have instantaneous
results.  Did it again for a few minutes this morning, and
later on the way to work, as I was barreling down a country
road, out of the corner of my eye I saw some movement by the
right front bumper.  Then I saw a beautiful bird, some kind of
special chicken I think-- gray and white-- walking on the other side of
the road.  Then, in the rear view mirror, the crushed remains
of another of the same species in the road.

Obviously, what had happened is that one of these birds had run
in front of my car just as it reached the point where he was
standing on the side of the road.  I felt horrified, aghast,
even grief-stricken.  This would have been bad enough anyway,
but to have deliberately opened my heart to oneness with life
and then to become a destroyer of life was, well, ghastly.

As I was sitting there in my grief, an accusing inner voice
said (no, not really a voice, but I'll personify it) said, "At
least *that* chicken ran in front of your car; what about all
the chickens whose deaths you are indirectly responsible for,
whose beautiful feathers you never see, who never did anything
to cause their own demise?  Why aren't you all grief-stricken
about *them*?"  And the vow to cease eating fowl was the only
possible response to this morning's events.

Moral: if you deliberately open yourself to perceiving reality
at a new level, the universe will immediately send you a
message to acknowledge your intention-- and test its sincerity.

RIP, beautiful gray and white bird-- may you soon reincarnate
among owners who won't let you play in the road.