Re: More on Reality Models

Apr 11, 1996 11:07 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 05:12 PM 4/11/96 -0500, you wrote:

>	Maybe we should ask, who don't you know?

Well Jerry, let's see: I don't know Cher, or Madonna, or Micheal Jackson, or
Barry Bonds, or Tom Cruise, or JFK jr., or any current "celebrity models",
Though I easily could. I am however, more of a recluse than I was, and I am
about to become even more so. But, if you'll just stop to think a minute, I
was born into a world that is quite different than the one most people are
heir to. I was born into "special circumstances" and therefore have lived a
life which most people don't even dream of. Whenever I talk about my life, I
must perforce, if I am to be truthful, mention people that other people
neither know, nor can know. For me to avoid mentioning well-known people,
I'd have to never mention anyone.
My life, is my experience, and I do believe it's an expereince I've a right
to. I didn't seek it out, it found me in my cradle. For me to pretend to
deny my life-expereince would be to deny my life. Is that not so?

I agree that
>the use of "model" is pre-Wilson.  I first learned this at the University
>of Maryland in the early 60s while getting my engineering degree.  The
>idea of models comes from the scientific community, and yes, Einstein
>and some others started it, because until Einstein came alone everyone
>thought Newton was "reality."  After Einstein, Newton became a "model."
>Modern science always speaks in terms of models of reality.  But this
>idea is relatively new to the occult and magical communities.  Wilson may
>have picked it up from someone else.  I was just mentioning that his use
>of the idea was the first that I had come across in the occult or magical
>worlds.  G de P, for example, warns against taking his charts for
>the real thing, and points out that the astral is not over our heads, for
>example.  But for him, and all the other early theosophists, HPB's
>model was *the* model, rather than *a* model.  As far as I know, I
>was the first theosophist to dare call it *a* reality model (i.e., one of
>many).
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI

And with Heisenberg, Einstein became a "model". For the rest you're
ccompletely correct in my view. I really hope you aren't either the first or
the only Theosophist to describe HPB's model as "a" model rather than "the"
model. Becuase it doesn't say much about the thoughfulness of most
theosophists, though it says a lot about both your thoughtfulness and your
courage.

alexis dolgorukii, MTI, FTSA