To: Sitanshu Kumar, Re: Kirshnamurti

Apr 10, 1996 07:12 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Sintash, you quote KrishnaJ as saying that spiritual authorities stifle the
mind. I would say that the ones that stifle aren't very spiritual, but
rather out for themselves, or for their own ends. An effective spirtual
authority, I think, is a person who has a point of view from which others
can learn, without being stifled, but rather a point of view which fires the
imagination to soar to new heights, or clears up a point the seeker has been
puzzling about ... helps the person find HIM/HERSELF in some way, not what
the spiritual authority wants them to find, but what the seeker needs to
find. That's what I call a genuine spirtual authority. Matter of fact, I
think sometimes Krishnamurti qualifies as being such a spiritual authority.
I also think that sometimes he says nonesense. But that's because I look to
spiritual authorities to tell me things I myself can use. If I can't use
what they say or write, it's not of interest to me. It may, however, be of
use to the next guy. If the point of view tries to make me afraid, I say
"You bananas, man!" & I go some place else for answers.

Liesel
Member TI, TSA, TS Canada, HR