Re: morality (comments to Alexis)

Apr 10, 1996 07:15 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Alexis:

[writing to Chuck]

>Actually "morality" is a religion based conception used to oppress humans!
>You will notice that the morally up-tight usually try to weasel their way
>out of it by conjoining "ethics" and "morality" but it doesn't really work
>because ethics is a valid conception and morality isn't. The morally
>up-tight are, just like their imaginary deities, busybodies!

It really depends upon what you mean by the term "moral". If it brings
to mind the narrow "do this" and "don't do that" rules that are given
to us by modern religions, I can see your distaste for the term.

I give the term a higher meaning, because I look at it apart from its
abuse by religious zealots. I would consider "moral" to be doing what
is right. As sentient beings, we learn to distinguish right from wrong,
and to act with consciousness and deliberation rather than unconsciously
and by habit. It the better sense, "moral" refers to those actions that
are for the better good, and "immoral" are those that are harmful to
everyone involved, even if the harm is not apparent on the surface.

I'd agree that we throw off the arbitrary rules of conduct imposed
upon us by society under the term "moral". But I don't see it as leading
to being amoral. In my view, the throwing off of unconscious, rigid,
unthinking morality is done by becoming self-consciously moral. That
is, one sees with penetrating insight (buddhi) into the true nature of
the situation in life before one, and chooses what is right with
skillful means. The rigid rules given us by society no longer shackle
us, but we're even more tightly bound to the right because we see,
know, and cannot help but want to follow it.

-- Eldon