Re: monkeys!

Apr 10, 1996 11:51 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 05:30 PM 4/10/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Alex,
>There is a small but important difference is saying that your purpose is to
>try to get along with other groups and actually doing it without saying it.
> If we want to promote TI as an active alternative to the arrogance and
>affrontery that is found in the other organizations, I am all for it.  But if
>we start by giving the impression in our preamble that we are in it for the
>brawl, then we may very well turn off the very people we want to attract.  I
>don't see how that can benefit TI or anyone else.
>It works like this.  The ordinary theosophist on  a jackass sees the word
>FREE and immediately thinks "Hell, I'm already free, what do I need with
>them?"  Then another little part of his brain starts saying, "How dare they
>say I'm not free?"  Before you know it he is no longer thinking but saying
>"Those TI nuts think that they have the only true Theosophy and I don't want
>any part of them!"  This is not what we want.
>Never underestimate the capacity of people to feel insulted.
>
>Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA
>Heretic
>Troublemaker
>
>You may be right! I always give people far too much credit, obviously you
do not!
If anyone want's proof that humanity descended from monkeys, it's sure easy
to find! And they haven't descended all that far! I honestly had no idea
that anyone would, or could, be so petty as to feel insulted by another
group making a point of Freedom of Opinion. I remeber in my Old American
theosophist Magazines (back when I first joined theTS) there was some sort
of statement headed: "Freedom of the Society" which said, I believe and if
memory serves, much the same thing.

I have this question: Considering what both Radha and The TSA adminsitration
seems to be up to, aren't "the kind of people we want to attract" gong to be
feeling pretty damn restricted? As youknow better than most the regular T.S.
Groups, all three of the poor dying things, are terribly restrictive in so
many ways. As a Carnivore you're well aware of one of the ways. Where in the
By-Laws does it say you have to be a vegetarian to be a theosophist? But
many folks act as if it were true.  As to the two ES sections (Adyar's and
the ULT's) nuff said.

Alexis, MTI, FTSA