Re: Giggling at the Morally Upright

Apr 10, 1996 12:58 PM
by Coherence

>>One thing I did not understand at all.  Jerry S. writes:
>>>Personally I find that idea of a
>>>group of students who bend over backwards to be morally upright as
>>>entirely opposed to the spirit of occultism.   HPB would probably giggle.
>>
>>This runs exactly counter to what HPB taught repeatedly, and I ask if you
>>could clarify the basis for your comment and especially explain why you
>think
>>she would giggle.
>>
>	First of all, Greg, let me tell you that HPB never established
>an occult school nor did she serve as guru to occult students.  She
>founded and fostered Theosophy and the Theosophical Society, which
>is *not* an occult  school.  Her insistence on ethics and morals was
>directed to her TS students to keep them out of trouble.  Her teachings
>on Chelaship reflect the one-on-one type of training found in India, and
>is not reflective of Western schools.  Western occult students, depending
>on their experience and understanding, would either be
>heedless of such warning or would no longer need it.

Granted that HPB did not establish an occult school.  And if ethics and
morals were directed to her TS students to keep them out of trouble, would
this also not apply to the occultists?  That they would be heedless is their
problem and is not an excuse for not providing the insistence or warning that
high ethics and morals should be followed.  I think HPB would giggle at the
statement that Western students (or any for that matter) would no longer need
it (them--ethics and morals)

I am enjoying my last cigarette right now for I am about to face the firing
squad by offering the following:

"Theosophy has to inculcate ethics. . . . . . .It is not by studying
Occultism for selfish ends, for the gratification of one's personal ambition,
pride, or vanity, that one can ever reach the true goal:  that of helping
suffering mankind. . . . . . . I have said already that a true Theosophist
must put in practice the loftiest moral ideal, must strive to realize his
unity with the whole of humanity, and work ceaselessly for others.  Now, IF
AN OCCULTIST DOES NOT DO ALL THIS, he must act selfishly for his own personal
benefit. . . . . . .he becomse forthwith a far more dangerous enemy to the
world and those around him than the average mortal." (caps mine) (Key pp. 24
& 25, facsimile ed.)

There is not much in this which would exclude anyone, Indian or Western.

Now it seems to me that our understanding of your phrase "bend over backwards
to be morally upright" differs.  You seem to mean those who perceive
themselves as morally upright, whereas I read it to mean, "try to hold to the
highest moral ideal".  I completely agree that those who try to be (appear)
morally upright are exercising their vanity and tend to have an inflated ego.
 And your reference to the Christians couldn't be better, for I too was
raised in an extremely strict Christian church  and know the posture where
one IS morally upright.  Membership alone confers a moral superiority in
their minds because their sins will be "washed away."

This was not my point, for ethics and morality should be followed, especially
by occultists, because it is the right thing to do.  If anything, the making
of the effort should lead one to a bit of humility, for with the effort comes
the recognition of how often we fail, fail to always to the right thing with
the right motive in mind.  How many of us do the right thing and for the
right reason all the time?   The true Occultist knows what is right to do.

So, no, I don't think HPB would giggle at the effort.  At the SHOW of
morality, yes she would, for those who put on this kind of show most
assuredly are not what they seem.

Greg H