Re: Giggling at the Morally Upright

Apr 10, 1996 00:15 AM
by Richtay

Jerry S. wrote,

"But when people go to the extreme of worrying about being "morally upright"
(which is equivalent to holier than thou) then I can only feel sorry for
them."

Um -- I don't get it.  The words "morally upright" mean no more to me than
simply "try to be good, altruistic people."  There is no air of superiority,
no necessary comparison with anyone, only an impersonal standard of kindness,
generosity, lessening of ego, etc.

And I agree with Greg that ethics and morality is EXACTLY what Theosophy is
founded on.  Even the most cursory look at *The Voice of the Silence* can
assure us of that.

Furthermore, the training of the chela was not different in kind from the
ordinary training the T.S. members were invited to pursue -- it was merely
different in degree.  Look at HPB's articles on Chelaship, Occultism Versus
the Occult Arts, etc. and see how very strict the rules were about morality,
sexuality, truthfulness, diet, conduct., etc. etc.  The chelas were expected
to be the most moral of all, in spite of having stirred up tremendous karmic
forces within themselves that speedily brought down heaps of their own "junk"
from past lives.  Chelas have the toughest row to hoe of all, in that they
are held to HIGHER standards while feeling and suffering more intensely than
anyone else -- usually in complete absence of CONSCIOUS contact from the guru
until probation is passed.

That at least is what I read from HPB's published material.