Re: more on freedom

Apr 10, 1996 03:18 PM
by John Vorstermans

alexis dolgorukii wrote:

>>But John, those were the two countries Liesel Deutsch was referring to when
>she said she felt free in America, Your reply, as I recall was that if she
>thought about it she'd see there wasn't much difference between the two.

I said no such thing.  I simply stated that freedom was a term that has hiden
meanings and suggested that one loks closly at the concept from an inner point
of view.  Yes, these is a difference in cultures and under different political
systems but this is not what I was talking about.

> So
>then I didn't bring my comparison up from out in left field. Sure America is
>far from perfect, I spend a great deal of time and energy raising hell about
>that distance. Sure there are countries in the world that are more
>Democratic than America, although I do not confuse Democracy and Freedom.
>But there are places that, in fact, are more free than America. But, by and
>large, America is a pretty free place. There are a really large numbers of
>places that are very much less free, and some places that are infinitely
>less free. I have spent much of the last 40 years contemplating the meaning
>of "Freedom", and I think I have a very good idea what it means. The
>"Militias" and "The Freemen" talk about freedom too, but what they mean is
>hostile anarchy, and in that situation no one is free.

You no doubt have a good idea of freedom from a humanistic point of view as
you explain above but I am approaching the subject from a different point of
view which I am trying to point out.

Perhaps I should say "freedom" IMHO from a physical point of view is an
illusion for most people today.  Until we reach enlightenment there is no
such thing and one we have reached it we might laugh at the concept.

John

--
John Vorstermans
PO Box 11-410