Re: Freedom

Apr 09, 1996 10:04 PM
by Drpsionic

Alex,
If we had a Parliamentary system, Newt Gingrich would be running the country.
 Now that may give me great pleasure and satisfaction, but I doubt you would
enjoy it.  The parliamentary system makes for very efficient government, but
it does little to protect the minority from the excesses of whomever wins the
majority.  That is why parliamentary systems tend to be very unstable in
times of crisis.  In point of fact, a very good case can be made that it was
the weakness of a parliamentary system that allowed Hitler to take power.
With all due respect to our British friends on this list, I find it difficult
to regard as free a country with an Official Secrets Act and no judicial
review.

Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA
Heretic
Troublemaker