Re:Beethoven

Apr 09, 1996 00:06 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:41 PM 4/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I just thought of a very important meaning of freedom, at least to me it is.
>It's the freedom I have of being able to live in the US, where I can pretty
>well say & do as I please, rather than being forced to live under an
>oppressive ditatorship. Since I have this background, I'm very sensitive to
>any abrogation of any freedoms, & I usually notice their slight abrogation
>the minute it comes up, & I usually protest them.
>I also just remembered a real good expression of freedom. It's the very
>touching chorus the prisoners sing in "Fidelio" when they are allowed to
>come up out of their dank dungeons, and be in the courtyard in the sun for a
>few minutes.
>Liesel
>Member TI, TSA, TS in Canada, HR
>
>Liesel: Old Ludwig was a great worshipper of Freedom, both personal freedom
and group freedom. The chorus to which you refer is one of the high points
of humanity's creative record! Ludwig may have been dreadfully grouchy
andpersonally unkempt but his are some of humankinds greatest musical
achievements. (Obviously I'm a fan of his) Mozart is sometimes considered to
be the greatest composer that ever lived, and I suppose I must agree. But
except in certain instances (The Magic Flute and The MasonicFuneral Music)
Mozart speaks to the intelligence, he scintillates. But Beethoven and sadly
Richard Wagner speak to the soul. I really despise Wagner as a man, but his
music is uttterly sublime. I admire Dmitri Shostakovitch as a person and his
music, to me, is almost equally sublime. And that's not being a russian
chauvinist.

alexis