Re: TI membership list

Apr 08, 1996 06:44 PM
by Rodolfo Don

>Liesel,
>I agree with you.  The word "free" has a lot of meanings to different people.
> Alex and I disagree a lot about it.  And in the context of theTI preamble it
>takes on a rather hostile implication that I really don't think we want.
>
>Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA
>Heretic
>Troublemaker

Chuck,

Free shouldn't be a problem to anybody in any TS group. It is well known
that one of the characteristics of a theosophist - and we all have talked
about it at one point or another - is the freedom of thought and action in
the Society. It also happens that in some theosophical groups you see an
authoritarian attitude on part of the officials in those groups. I have
seen also examples of adoration that reaches almost to the ridiculous. All
this given to 'personalities'. I don't care if those personalities are at
the top of the ladder (read: power structure),  they are still
personalities, and they are subjected to all the defects and imperfections
that human personalities have.

Just because I value my freedom, is that I am a member of TI. I also know
that I don't have to belong to any organization. Freedom, just like many
other words has been corrupted in its meaning. But to me it is something
sacred. I know what it means to me. Basically it means freedom from
illusion. I don't want to extend myself more on this, but I don't believe
that by saying that we are free men and women, we are being hostile to
anybody. We're just saying what we really are.

THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL
<a matter of consciousness>

Web: http://www.garlic.com/~rdon/TI.html