Re: NY Human Service Alliance (A.R.E.)

Feb 19, 1996 04:16 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Hi, John,
I'll pass on news of that conference. It sounds really good. Wish I could
go, but NYC is about 4,5 hours from Syracuse by car, & I'm not well enough
to go that far anymore. I'd like to get affiliated with HSA. I could do
something. But more to the point, I'd be interested in knowing whether they
exist in Syracuse, because the one thing I'm not very well provided for is
if I get terminally ill, & apparently they give a service. You put down an
e-mail address. I will inquire.
Liesel

>>Any effort to spread the word about the conference described below
>>regarding how group service work can be effective would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Human Service Alliance
>>
>>SERVICE FROM THE HEART AND SOUL
>>
>>DATE: Saturday, March 23, 1996
>>
>>TIME:10:00 A.M. TO 6:00 P.M.
>>
>>LOCATION:The Hotel Beverley, 125 E. 50th St. at Lexington Avenue,
Manhattan, New York City

>>COST: a $10.00 donation is requested, but not required.
>>
>>PLEASE REGISTER IN ADVANCE: Call and write A.R.E.-N.Y at 212-JOY-2415, 531
W. 211th Street #31A, New York, NY 10034-5920.

>>This conference is SPONSORED BY The New York Chapter of the Association
for Research and Enlightenment (A.R.E.)

>>CONFERENCE PRESENTERS are volunteers of Human Service Alliance, an all-
volunteer, no-fee-for-service nonprofit service corporation located in
Winston-Salem, NC USA.  This is a professional quality presentation that will
>>leave participants inspired and challenged.
>>
>>This conference has been presented in London, England and at the Findhorn
Foundation, Scotland as well as various locations in the USA.

>>LOOKING FOR MEANING IN LIFE?  A SENSE OF PURPOSE?  Human Service Alliance
(HSA) is a model for members of all-volunteer groups seeking purpose and
meaning through selfless service.  HSA provides, solely with volunteers, f
>>ull-time care for the terminally ill, health and wellness services,
respite care for families with developmentally disabled children, and
mediation services-all without charge.  At this all-day seminar, HSA
volunteers, wi
>>thout compensation and taking time from their jobs and families,  will
show how to put love into action through cooperative Group service Work.
COME AND SEE how ordinary people, working together, can achieve extraordinar
>>y results!
>>
>>BREAKOUT DESCRIPTIONS...
>>
>>PRESENTATION OF TOUCHING THE SOUL
>>
>>In 1994 HSA was chosen by Mosher Productions of Massachusetts to be
featured in the first years production of the television series,
Visionaries, shown on many PBS stations.  The producer, Bill Mosher, asked
the question:
>> What is the magic that occurs when one person helps another?  His search
led him to consider over seven hundred individuals and organizations world
wide and he chose HSA as one of the organizations to be featured in the
>>first year along with eleven other.  The documentary reveals how a group
of ordinary people can indeed work together and produce extraordinary results.

>>SERVICE:  THE NEW FRONTIER
>>Human Service Alliance (HSA) is an experiment in attempting to provide
service by a group committed to serving as selflessly as possible. Over the
past nine years, the commitment and effectiveness of this group in this "g
>>roup work" has increased substantially. One of the main reasons for this
is the implementation at HSA of the concept which has become known as the
"Totally Responsible Person". With roots in ancient wisdom, its practice a
>>t HSA is becoming a  reality. Becoming responsible for every negative
emotion, thought, and action allows each individual to modify his/her
behavior so that one's ability to serve is maximized and provides a
mechanism for
>> working effectively in a group of servers. These ideas are shared with
all HSA volunteers through individual discussions and day-long
presentations. Volunteers who learn how to recognize and eliminate victim
behaviors fi
>>nd that their energy increases and that they become more effective and
creative in serving at HSA. Indeed they begin to provide true service--that
service which is the spontaneous outflow of a loving heart and an intellig
>>ent mind.   The new frontier of service is not so much what we do as it is
the commitment and attitude with which we approach it.

>>INVOKING THE SOUL OF COMMUNITY
>>What are some of the greatest barriers that can occur between people when
they try to work together? Why is it that so many groups find themselves
"bogged down" by the needs and wants of the individuals who make up the gr
>>oup? One of the major deterrents to truly cooperative group work is the
conscious or unconscious "personal agendas" that each of us brings to
everything we do. This seminar addresses how we can learn to work cohesively, p
>>roductively, and purposefully with others in a group by leaving our
personal agendas at the door.

>>For further information about the conference contact Human Service
Alliance at 3983 Old Greensboro Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, tel.
910-761-8745, fax 910-722-7882, email:  HSA1@aol.com.