Regarding TI

Dec 25, 1996 03:08 PM
by guru

> Alan
>
> With interest I have watched the development Theosophy International and
> commend your underlying motivation and skill in getting it rolling. Were
> there no Theosophical Society it is certainly the organization I would join.

Richard

Thanks for the kind words. My motivation is based upon what I
see as the serious possiblity that given its current course and
policyies the Theosophical Society will simply wither away
partly from the very *untheosophical* power struggles that go on
England's history is not so very different from America's in
terms of the basics. I began promoting TI because of clues I
had picked up from theos-l - for which we should all be thankful
and greatly indebted.

> The problem for me however is that there *is* a Theosophical Society and
> it is the only group I have ever felt any--as Paul recently said--"karmic"
> connection to. Is there any incompatibility between TI and TS? I don't
> think so--perhaps the former is a good way to remind the latter what it
> really *was* *is* and *should be in the future* if it expects to have much
> further significance in this world. Nevertheless I suppose I have always
> felt myself to be a little too much of a "company man" to join anything
> besides the Theosophical Society.

Yes there *is* a Theosophical Society. I am a member of it
and a past president and past vice-president of my own Lodge upon
whose committee I still serve. So in promoting TI I see myself
as promoting something that exists *within* theosophy *within*
the TS for those who are members and not something outside
theosophy or instead of any theosophical setup currently in
existence.

> On the other hand were Theosophy International audacious enough to declare
> itself an unauthorized "Global Lodge *of* the Theosophical Society" . . .

I don't quite see how this could be - I do not know if all TI
members are TS Adyar members though one or two belong to at
least three TS organizations at the same time.

> Right now though I agree that there does seem to be a great deal of
> desire-mental consciousness pervading the programs and procedures of the
> Theosophical Society. The possible "strategizing" of the by-law adoptions
> may be an example of this--using the mental nature in the service of a
> desired outcome etc. The possible requirement that study centers must first
> study certain things "Real Theosophy" in order to be certified may be
> another example.

Well now to me TI is a way of "using" if you like "the
mental nature in the service of a desired outcome." The
difference is that the desired outcome is a coming together to
*voluntarily* serve and promote the three objects in a more up
to date manner which reflects the society we actually live in;
which while respecting the values and ideals of the founders
recognizes that humanity has moved on and is in fact not a
little richer for the advent of the theosophical movement begun
by HPB and company in 1975 and whose work may have influenced
the world more than many of imagine.

The development of knowledge and the understanding of truth - of
which there is no higher religion - has progressed considerably
since 1875 or even 1926 when my own Lodge was opened by Annie
Besant around the time of the summer solstice.

Theosophy - in the Adyar TS or anywhere else - needs I formly
believe not only to regognize this but also to express it and
adapt to it. I am regarded by some as something of a "feminist"
in that I see the role of women in theosophical service as
crucial to the future of the kind of theosophy we both value.
But that's how the whole thing *started out* and was continued
especially in the early decades. How many of the following were
men:

HPB Annie Besant Anna Kingsford Katherine Ting...y sp? Alice
Bailey? My own Lodge was founded and held together in its
formative years almost entirely by active women.

So you can see why I favor the inclusive language approach of
TI? How many *young* women of today want to members of a
"brotherhood" - something associated with peculiar masonic
all-male rituals which in this country are the regular stuff of
TV humor. Sure one or two wonlt be too bothered but my guess
is that *most* won't even look any further past this word when
they are shown the objects as they now stand. In fact one
woman joined our Lodge and resigned when she got the usual
handout pack for new members *because she resented being
described as a "fellow" and a "brother." "I am a woman!" she
said and sent the lot back. A mere youngster of 52 .......

> Nevertheless I continue to have hope for the TS--primarily I suppose

The declining membership figures here as in the US do not
alas support this hope.

> For now nonetheless I am keeping the faith that the Theosophical Society
> will soon return to being an organization simply founded upon THE THREE
> OBJECTS and that private beliefs and perspectives of members will stay
> private--in the sense of not superceding or "filtering" the expression of
> other members' beliefs and perspectives.

Which is exactly what TI seeks to promote both within the Adyar
TS and *anywhere else* where people truly care about
theosophical principles and ideas. PLUS - it's free has no
by-laws no laws! and to date although miniscule represented
in three countries!

<snip>

> For the moment Alan I will just continue to watch both the developments
> within the Theosophical Society and your good efforts with Theosophy
> International as well.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Richard Ihle

At my end Theosophy International *is* a development within the
Theosophical Society! It can also be and is for some See the
current issue of ~Ergates~ a development beyond it as well.

Why not come on in? Help to change things simply by asserting
your right to be Richard Ihle Theosophist.

Happy New year New Age New Ideas

Alan
--
Member Theosophy International.