To Alan Regarding TI

Dec 24, 1996 02:52 AM
by RIhle

Alan

With interest I have watched the development Theosophy International and
commend your underlying motivation and skill in getting it rolling. Were
there no Theosophical Society it is certainly the organization I would join.

The problem for me however is that there *is* a Theosophical Society and
it is the only group I have ever felt any--as Paul recently said--"karmic"
connection to. Is there any incompatibility between TI and TS? I don't
think so--perhaps the former is a good way to remind the latter what it
really *was* *is* and *should be in the future* if it expects to have much
further significance in this world. Nevertheless I suppose I have always
felt myself to be a little too much of a "company man" to join anything
besides the Theosophical Society.

On the other hand were Theosophy International audacious enough to declare
itself an unauthorized "Global Lodge *of* the Theosophical Society" . . .

Right now though I agree that there does seem to be a great deal of
desire-mental consciousness pervading the programs and procedures of the
Theosophical Society. The possible "strategizing" of the by-law adoptions
may be an example of this--using the mental nature in the service of a
desired outcome etc. The possible requirement that study centers must first
study certain things "Real Theosophy" in order to be certified may be
another example.

Nevertheless I continue to have hope for the TS--primarily I suppose
because I am convinced that only individuals in the fourth-degree of
Self-awareness and lower can be comfortable for very long when they utilize
the semi-Selves which form in desire-mental consciousness. My prediction is
that John Algeo for one despite his favoring of the changes in the by-laws
is going to throw his support on the side of a much longer period for
deliberation and discussion. I see him as someone in at least the fifth
degree of Self-awareness; thus he should be able to maintain the
"Once-Removed Vantage" vis-a-vis the desire-mental level of consciousness
and consequently be able to forego indulging himself in what would in his
better moments seem even to him like a declasse manner. If however he
allows such a semi-Self to have free egoic rein "I *really am* my cherished
idea for changing the by-laws and I *shall* prevail over individuals who
*really are* less valid ideas" then I guess we're in more trouble than I
thought.

For now nonetheless I am keeping the faith that the Theosophical Society
will soon return to being an organization simply founded upon THE THREE
OBJECTS and that private beliefs and perspectives of members will stay
private--in the sense of not superceding or "filtering" the expression of
other members' beliefs and perspectives. This is not true at the moment I
agree but both Adyar and Wheaton would have to be pretty obtuse to think
that all the malcontents of the Society *just happened* to end up on theos-l.
They must suspect that we may be at least a little bit like a representative
sample of the entire membership and that many of us are getting a little
worried that the official organization is starting to look like it is in the
process of being redesigned by and for the benefit of those who resemble
the Sadducees--i.e. the old Jewish "insider" aristocrisy often families
which passed power from one generation to the next who rejected any new
doctrines etc. coming into the Law.

For the moment Alan I will just continue to watch both the developments
within the Theosophical Society and your good efforts with Theosophy
International as well.

Best wishes

Richard Ihle

Capitalizing what they think can be articulated rather than reserving it for
what cannot.