Re: 90s pub stats by language

Dec 19, 1996 09:39 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Christopher Buck:

> Dear Paul:
>
> Thanks for your interesting and instructive bibliographic posts.
> They complement Seena Fazel's citation studies.
>
> For us neophytes could you tell us how one accesses the OCLC database?

Not all libraries offer public access to it; it is very rare to
find a terminal in a public library other than for staff use.
But I have seen public access terminals at Duke and have had a
friend at Colgate talk about having the same at that
university. Note that OCLC is the company which provides its
database through regional networks like SOLINET but also
directly through its FirstSearch online service which includes
a public access catalog called WorldCat. That may be the form
in which you would be most likely to find it. Sorry I'm
ignorant of Canadian circumstances but I bet somewhere in the
Ottawa area is access to OCLC in some form. National Library
perhaps? Perhaps Bill Collins can advise.

Now what was that about Seena Fazel's citation study? What did
he find?

Cheers
PJ