Re: Dark Night of the Soul

Dec 18, 1996 09:17 PM
by Lewis Lucas

Jerry S.:
> >The Dark-Night-of-the-Soul
> >is an anguishing experience that most of us go through at
> >some point in which the human mind eventually
> >comes to terms with the fact that its limited nature will never
> >allow it to fully understand or comprehend the infinite spirit.

> >>It would be more like a "sweet melting" leading
> >>to a sense of "eternal delight" rather than a "dive into
> >>the dark unknown" or a "shattering".

Eldon:
> It depends upon how awake and pervasive the influence of the
> higher principles are. If the qualities of Atma and Buddhi
> are starting to prevade our constitution then it's more like
> a fade-out of the lower and a fade-in of the higher with no
> dark in-between space...

Lewis:

The idea that it the change in us is a gradual one seems to
contradict other ideas that indicate that enlightenment or awakening
to the next level is a sudden break through in consciousness. I once
heard the analogy of a finger being pressed inside a ballon. The
membrane stretches ever and ever thinner by the constant pressure
but the breakthrough occurs suddendly.

llucas@mercury.gc.peachnet.edu