psuedonyms hidden users etc.

Dec 17, 1996 06:52 AM
by jem

hi -

actually as it is currently set up a person can use an alias as well as
request
that their subscription be "hidden" when people use the "review" query.

I have not changed these options since I can envision a "rare" case or two
where this might be desirable. However I personally don't like the
"hidden" aspects concerning user's identities.

It is somewhat immaterial since anyone who posts has a specific e-mail
address. Hence -- any person who is motivated can ultimately ask the sysadmin
at that location who is using that address. i.e. any good private investigator
can easily figure out who is there. The net is not a secure place to hide.

I do encourage people to use their "real" names. This actually gives their
comments
more validity. People who speak from "behind the curtain" are easily ignored
and assumed untrustworthy.

peace -

john mead
jem@vnet.net

p.s. the lists are slow these days. be patient. the through-put should
be better this coming week. :-