Re: By-Law Revision/Boston Lodge Sale

Dec 14, 1996 08:36 AM
by Liesel F. Deutsch

>From: Richtay@aol.com
>Subject: Re: By-Law Revision/Boston Lodge Sale

Sy Ginsburg wrote

> From what I found out subsequently
> it does appear that the [legal fees] figure is closer to $270000. I don't
know about
> $400000 that Rich Taylor indicates but if Rich was treasurer and on the
> inside perhaps his figure is correct.
I was actually secretary not treasurer and to be honest my figures are from
what I heard at board meetings not from the books. I'm sure Sy's numbers
are more accurate. I never took the time to learn all the gruesome financial
details.

Sy also wrote

> our national
> directors engaged in activities which dissipated large amounts of
Theosophical
> assets in addition to losing the 60+ members of the Boston Lodge. .

Well this is a bit of legerdemain on the part of the Besant Lodge. I DO
happen to know for a fact that of the 85 members on the Boston Lodge's roster
BEFORE the split only about 15 of them were active and after the split
about 12. During the election the year I was there only one office out of 06
was contested. Every other office had one candidate and so of course they
took office again. So really Wheaton has lost a handful of active members
and a nice padded membership-list. I agree with Sy GInsburg however that the
money combined BEFORE the lawsuit could have bought a prominent building in
Harvard Square etc. which would have attracted a great deal of attention.
Very sad.

Also

> How many of our Lodges have people clamoring to study the Secret
Doctrine?
I know of a lot of places actually not to be difficult about it Sy is
right the book is hard. But very often new students are very very anxious
to tackle "the big book" and we in San Franscisco U.L.T. have about 10 new
students that came in this year who CANNOT wait for the group to begin this
Feb. I think it comes from a their inner drive and b what they were
"raised" on the past year namely HPB's easier stuff that drops tons of
hints.

Sy writes

> If we start telling Lodges what they can and cannot study the membership
will
> only continue to shrink. Look at our Society 4200 members and declining
year
> by year.
I quite agree that we should not FORCE lodges or people to study anything
they don't want to. But we as "old-timers" set the tone and when people
come into the lodge they quickly get the gist of what the focus is. In my
opinion Wheaton's number drop is not mainly because of authoritarianism
though it is cool to say so but because they are trying the make Theosophy
jive with "New Age" when in fact New Age grew out of Neo-Theosophy. I
personally if anyone cares would rather have a very small serious
dedicated group of students who wish to learn original Theosophy and THEN
possibly branch out rather than a large scattered unfocussed and confused
body with a kind of half-hearted interest in what the Masters taught as
"Theosophy."

I do not think bringing the lawsuit was wise nor do I believe in slandering
the motives of "Neo-Theosophists" but I do want to speak up for Theosophy as
it was originally presented before we unenlightened humans took over with
our political battles Judge and Besant and our vain hopes Krishnamurti
and high-handedness expelling the German section etc. and fragmentation
over 20 separate Theosophical groups in the 1920s. If Theosophy is
declining in the world I fear it's because we as custodians have not really
done our job not taught Theosophy not held true to our program which
anyone can read in the letter of the Mahachohan to HPB.

Rich

This debate on how to preserve the TS reminds me of discussions
among the remnant of German Jews after the Holocaust.
Some said we should have practiced our ancient
orthodox religion more. Others said we were too clannish & should
have assimiated more. Who knows what was right?

Liesel
Member Theosophy International
Member Human Race