ULT Misconceptions and a Proposal

Dec 13, 1996 11:36 PM
by Coherence

In a message dated 95-12-13 172708 EST you write:

>When years ago I described the way the ULT operates to my
>brother anonymity secret officers no by-laws etc. he said
>"Oh that's a cryptocracy." Meaning an organization in which
>the government is secret.

There is a misconception about ULT stated here that needs to be cleared up.
The ULT is an Association of students. There is no legal entity called ULT
hence no officers bylaws government. Each Lodge and study group is
independent and autonomous and generally run by older students who assume
the responsibility for its functioning. The ULT is not a democracy but the
views and council of as many students as possible are taken into
consideration. This generally applies to convenient meeting times
administrative matters building maintainance etc. for the efficient
functioning of the group.

I try to think of the ULT as a combination of the concept of a Family and a
Bridge Club. Families are run by older figures who are given authority by
virtue of their position but opinions are sought. In a bridge club there
is no official organization but various members take responsibility for its
functioning. As the bridge club agrees that when they assemble they will
play bridge the ULT students agree that when they assemble they will study
HPB Judge and Crosbie.

The anonymity issue is merely an attempt to stick to ideas and teaching
rather than personalities. Therefore there are no "leaders" officially
recognized as such. When writing ULT students do not sign their name so
that the ideas come through and the reader is not biased by the personality
of the author. It is not a secret society where the governance is hidden
secret or mysterious in any way and certainly is not a "cryptocracy".
Actually the operation is very much like the new Theosophy International.
I would even say that this new organization seems to be modeled on ULT
except for the agreed upon course of study. The ULT Declaration states that
"It ULT is loyal to the Founders of the Theosophical Movement . . . "

Does the ULT have its share of politics? Of course it does--people are
involved. But the method of operation minimizes the unfortunate events which
plague the TS and divert its attention from its mission. Witness the current
"lengthy" discussion of political events on this List taking up time and
space better utilized by the discussion of the ideas and teaching of
Theosophy.

I propose all discussion of the TS's and any other organization's
politics by-laws officers internal squabbles gossip etc. be moved to a
separate board.

Does anyone else agree?