Re: Trust Problem

Dec 13, 1996 04:35 AM
by M K Ramadoss

On 13 199512 K. Paul Johnson wrote:

> The more I contemplate the by-laws imbroglio for that is what
> it appears to be becoming the more it seems to boil down to a
> basic lack of trust on the part of the members toward Wheaton
> and Adyar.

MKR
Glad you took time to analyze and post the msg.

> On a personal basis I have enjoyed visiting Wheaton have met > most
board members and feel a general trust that they and the > staff there
have Theosophy's best interests at heart. Yet the > Bing episode and some
previous power-struggle things I've heard > about make me feel that 01
some people are trying to control > things in underhanded ways and 02
their motives are mysterious > and perhaps not benevolent. This is
admittedly a suspicious > mood rather than a well-founded conclusion. > >
When we look at Adyar and the various section expulsions the > same sense
of distrust is engendered. One doesn't know exactly > who is trying to
control what there's little information on > what has occurred but in
the absence of information one can > only speculate. > > The best cure I
can imagine for this kind of generalized > distrust is a completely open
discussion of the issues > involved. Until the membership knows exactly
what went on in > Boston Canada Yugoslavia Denmark we are not likely
to be > receptive to the message from higher up that "we need more >
control over you for your own good." What's really at stake? > Who's
really concerned about it? >

MKR
As you have had opportunity to personally meet the most of the
Board members of TSA have you had an opportunity to communicate with
them either on telephone or in writing regarding the bylaws? If you did
can you let us know what feedback you have received. If you have not
have you considered contacting them and get feedback. This would
interest all of us.

> I hope that if the controversial amendments are defeated that
> there will be more time for discussion and a more open forum
> for it than we have had in the past.
>
> When years ago I described the way the ULT operates to my
> brother anonymity secret officers no by-laws etc. he said
> "Oh that's a cryptocracy." Meaning an organization in which
> the government is secret. Even though the Adyar TS has all the
> paraphernalia of a democracy there are still ways that it's
> cryptocratic due to the ES and other factors. I sense in the
> unease expressed here about the by-laws a deeper unease about
> the very nature of Theosophical democracy and a sense that
> cryptocracy lurks beneath its surface. Restoration of trust
> requires first of all a sense that there is real meaning to our
> democratic institutions and that they aren't just window
> dressing for cryptocracy. The suggestion of postponing the
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> vote may not be feasible but it would help make people feel
> better about the genuineness of the democratic process.

MKR
The board can always find a way to postpone the implementation of
the bylaws even if they are passed. So it all depends how the board views
the situation and what it wants to do.

As I see it we need better and more effective communication
between Wheaton and members. This would go a long way in helping a lot of
things to go smoothly.

MK Ramadoss