Re: God loves you He/She/It Does!

Dec 12, 1996 04:08 PM
by guru

Anne:

> Could this "host" be another's understanding that you believe in such a
> "being"? May-be God is and/or isn't a being. It's all OK isn't it?
> Because one person's conception can be the same as another's yet the
> language used to define it different. Myths teach us that. To me "God"
> is everywhere and manifests itself in love and energyprana. That can make
> "God" no thing. But then again God's beingness can be the grasping
> projections that help some in advancement and bring personification for
> another level of relationship. The Hindu gods are great examples of that.
> It's at that level in representation that it is important to not forget
> both masculine and feminine aspects or an imbalance can be created that has
> great social implications.

To ascribe gender in any way to deity *per se* is no go. To
ascribe gender to aspects of deity or divinity in action or
expression is in itself silly but we may feel a need as
human beings who *do* have gender to express such activity in
human terms - but this is for our convenience and has nothing
to do with what God is.

As a theologian as well as a theosophian may I state: God is
not a being and never was. In the Western version of the
Ancient Wisdom found in the Bible Tanach and other writings
the "name" of God is given as YHWH or Yahweh or in HPB's time
Jehovah.

This name is a variant form of the Hebrew verb "to be" and
intelligently understood hence such phrases as "whoever has
ears to hear" represents insofar as human awareness is
capable of knowing what it means the fact of eternal being or
being-ness *as such*.

In the Aramaic-speaking world in which Jesus taught the word
for God as in Hebrew is ALWH or "Elohe" or similar but has
the same connotation to a middle-easterner today as it did then.

For example in the Arab-speaking world Arabic derives from
Aramaic and Hebrew to argue over the existence of God is
regarded as absurd and Islam has no time for atheists. This is
not prejudice but common sense for to argue in any of those
languages that God does not exist is to argue that *Being*
does not exist - an obvious absurdity. One could represent a
well-known saying therefore:

In God [YHWH = Eternal Being] we live and move and have our
[individual] being.

To put it another way we as monads are part of the ALL.

Bit of a relief really.

Alan
--
Member Theosophy International.