re re beginner's list

Dec 11, 1996 09:57 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Alan writes:

My *very first* book on Theosophy was Jinarajadasa's ~First
Principles of Theosophy~ which was hard going and took me two
weeks to read - but I got just about all the basics from a
one-volume clearly printed volume.

JHE
Actually that was also the first book on theosophy that I
seriously read--and it helped to peak my interest in astronomy.
Ironically through my new interest in astronomy I came to
realize that the science especially the astronomy is very out
of date. What is worse CJ's teachings which are essentially
restatements of CWL's hang on that scientific mis-information.
I would think that most anyone with a basic scientific background
would be put off of theosophy if they read it.
A little over fifteen years ago a representative from TPH
Wheaton made a business trip to our Lodge and book store. He
mentioned that TPH London would not reprint ~First Principles~
because of the out-of-date science. On the other hand I'm
surprised at how many people still value that book. Used copies
are very much in demand. It seems that TPH has a good model for
a basic textbook on theosophy here but it needs to be completely
rewritten.

Jerry HE
Member Theosophy International
International Theosophist