Re: Copy of: Sidetorture to Eldon

Dec 11, 1996 05:35 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Malcolm:
>An observation of mine is about the relatioship bewteen thought and its
>translation into words. The observation is that the 'thoughts' are
>independent of thier translation into words; that thoughts exists before
>thier translation.
>Thoughts seam to appear in a whole lump it seems to take time and
>concentration to make the transistion into words. I am not not multilingual
>so would like input from anyone that is - "Do toughts exist independantly of
>the language you are thinking in?". Also there is the experience of 'not
>being able to find the word' ie the thought exists before its linguistic
>expression.
>
>I don't know how to analyse this in terms of higher mind / lower mind /
>brain etc. Does anywone haeve any input?

I prefer to think of it in terms of ideas which are then clothed
in thoughts which are then clothed in words. because of all of the
clothing disguises we often hear the words but miss the ideas
behind them.

>Anyway I have used this as a technique of meditation:- to try and stay in
>that space where thoughts are thoughts but before they become words. I
>found it a very effective way to 'quiet the mind' and gain insites into the
>mind's working.

Here you will find images. Words are rolled up into
thoughts which are rolled up into ideas which are expressed on
this level as pure images.

Jerry S.
Member Theosophy International