Re J00 H-E Bylaws and Bailey

Dec 10, 1996 05:35 AM
by Liesel F. Deutsch

Hi Bee

I absolutely agree with you. We should be able to read & study
whatever interests us as of the moment if for no other reason than
that we learn best from interesting materials. If it's Alice
Bailey well then it's Alice Bailey. I don't think that should make
a person an outcast if we're really practicing the tolerance that
goes with us all being one brother/sister-hood. I say that in spite of the
fact or maybe because of the fact that I find Besant & Leadbeater
more to my liking. To me they have more substance. But since I'm
asking others who don't like these 02 to stop making snide remarks
about them & to accept me as a believer in Besant/Leadbeater then
by the same token I should be willing to extend the same courtesy to
someone who finds Alice Bailey more to their liking.
I thoroughly dislike this sophistry which comes out of the ES that their
nucleus of the brother/sisterhood is wiser & holier than the wisdom & holiness
which comes out of other tradtions & beliefs. It's divisive when we should
be synthesising. I was brought up as a real provincial
snob. We thought of ourselves as the creme de la creme.
The Jews of Frankfurt were only second in stature to the
Jews of Berlin. Just don't ask me who of the 02 got put into the ovens
first. I don't think the Nazis were refined enough to differentiate
between the Frankfurt & the Berlin Jews. The experience taught me many
lessons one of which
was to get me over feeling holier than thou because I belonged to
the very high class Frankfurter Jews. Putting this lesson to use with
the issue at hand I will respect someone who believes in Alice Bailey!
I may argue with them about an idea if I think mine makes more sense. In
the final analysis I was taught by Theosophists that it's very difficult to
judge a person by their outside appearances & if their actions seem
odd there might be a perfectly valid inner reason. A few theosophical friends
treated me in this manner when I seemed wild & wolly & I was very
grateful for their understanding while I was struggling. I try to
apply the same courtesy to someone else don't always do it it's
hard but try. So much for Alice Bailey.

Liesel
Member Theosophy International
Member Human Race