Re: God loves you

Dec 09, 1996 01:59 PM
by guru

> To : Paul Johnson:
> I like what you had to say. I must ask however if you truly and deeply
> believe that God is a He or whether it is just through habit that you use
> that pronoun. It seems to me the "father" idea was the only exceptable one
> at such an intensely patriarchal historical time as when Jesus walked the
> earth and the notion of parental love was best expressed by the "father"
> image. If God truly is a He it means not only that he has a sexual identity
> but that sexual identity makes "Him" closer to half of the world's
> population and makes the other half seem less than human. It is sort of
> like imagining that God is white or something.
> Anne

.. I heard she was green :-

Seriously Anne I am really pleased to see you raising this
question. One of the reasons for my promoting the idea of
Theosophy International with its own version of the original
Adyar three objects was to help move spiritual and mutual-aid
concerns into the new age or the 21st century whichever.

Of course God does not and cannot have a sexual identity yet
the language which supposes this persists and those like
myself who protest are either ignored or insulted though not
insulted on theos-l.

A while back before you signed up to the list I posted an
article of mine on this which also appeared in the UK
~Theosophical Journal~ from which it attracted - unbelievably -
only hostile responses called "I'm Alright Jill."

If you would like I can e-mail a copy of this privately to you.

Alan Bain D.D.
--
Member Theosophy International.
Member Human Race.