Re: Social programs

Nov 27, 1995 02:13 AM
by M K Ramadoss

On 27 199511 Ann E. Bermingham wrote:

> Tullis:
> >Therefore in conclusion I would argue that reducing capital gains taxes
> >tends to be an indirect but causal influence on job creation. The best
> >thing for poor people is more opportunities for jobs.
>
> What kind of jobs? Working at a fast food joint? Many jobs remained unfilled
> due to a shortage of skilled or educated labor. People trying to get off
> welfare need training so they can make enough money to feed their families.

Even in highly skilled jobs due to fast moving/fast changing
nature of various skilled areas everyone has to be in a
learning/training mode all the time. I am speaking from personal experience.
I think that every effort should be made to motivate people to learn new
skills and improve their current skills. This is good for everone concerned.

> jobs they often qualify for are so low-paying and have no medical benefits
> that they have no choice but to stay on welfare especially if they or
> their children have medical problems.

I donot have all the answers. But I hope the really needy get the
necessary help and assistance.

> >Therefore in the specific case of capital gains taxation the optimal way
> >to help the poor is not to tax capital gains and then through an inefficient
> >bureaucracy which expends a large portion of those taxes on federal salaries
> >and paperwork pass the remaining funds directly to the poor.
>
> My husband was born legally blind. He received funding for his education from
> the Divison of Vocational Rehabilitation. Unfortunately it was never enough
> to graduate with a degree but only to give him enough training to get a job
> in data processing.
>
> It is an interesting idea - giving the "poor" the money directly. Would that
> have allowed my husband to finish and get a degree? The lack of a full degree
> holds him back from applying for some jobs. Would those funds "passed on" be
> enough to cover tuition for anyone wishing to further themselves with
> education?
>
> - ann

It is sad that your husband's lack of a full degree is holding
him back from jobs. From my experience the smaller companies are less
rigid about the need of degree for a job. I donot know the situation in
your area of the country.

In a computer company I used to work for the chief technical
officer and the brain behind all their R&D did not have a degree. He was
a self educated individual and he was the one who came with the computer
microprocessor design which was contracted to Texas Instruments to build
within a certain time frame and cost and they could not meet it. Later
Intel took the design and made the first chip.

So I personally do not think much about the degrees and I am amazed how some
time people try to impress others with their educational achievements.

Doss