RE: Attracting Younger Individuals

Nov 24, 1995 03:00 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 045400 PM 11/24/95 -0500 Peter Walstra wrote:

>IMHO anyone below 40 can be seen as part of the younger generation
considering the
>general age of people in theosophical circles I know of. Friends of about
my age 26 sometimes
>have affinity with theosophy but somehow a theosophical society is not
exactly what they are
>looking for. Not very suprising because there is a rather large barrier to
take when approaching
>a small society with so many older people and with lectures as the default
means for communication.

Years ago when I was a member of a lodge everybody in the lodge was
retired except myself a youngster in early twenties. The favorite subject
for the lectures used to be Life after Death. I can relate to what you are
saying.

>I'm speaking here about things in Holland but it doesn't seem to be much
different elsewhere...

>Certainly Internet communication has a lot of potential. We could indeed be
surprised to see
>the numbers of young individuals with spiritual interests rising very quickly.

I am closely following the rise and use of Internet. Even very large
corporations in computer industry failed to see the coming of Internet and
are trying to play catch up.

In addition to discussion groups there is great potential in
automatic responses to inquiries from anyone interested in Theosophical
ideas on various subjects. For example in the business world they are using
what are known as Mailbot or Knowbot. These are computer programs which
continuously scan incoming e-mail messages for key words and automatically
generate fixed replies based on key words. These programs work 07 days a week
24 hours a day and the responses for inquiries are almost immediate. In
addition due to automation. the cost is very minimal.

In the USA there is one company which is in the process of offering
FREE Internet e-mail and one more is in the process of introducing a similar
e-mail. These are sponsored by advertisers and thus Internet e-mail us going
to go up exponentially in the near future. Let us hope Theosophy will make
full use of the new medium.

...doss