Re: Phists vs. Phers

Nov 24, 1995 00:20 AM
by M K Ramadoss

At 105700 AM 11/24/95 -0500 Eldon wrote:

>Doss:
>
>>The strength of Theosophy has always been lack of orthodoxy and
>>non requirement of any book knowledge.
>
>The unique nature of the various theosophical groups is in that
>they present a well-defined body of occult doctrines but don't
>require either a belief in them nor even a study of the materials.
>One can be a Fundamentalist Christian with an intense hatred of
>Eastern Religions and be an accepted member even though one may
>actively work against the ideas of reincarnation and karma etc.
>
>There were many reasons for this approach. One is that western
>religions need to be organized by westerners and could take
>centuries to arise from the raw philosophical materials. Another
>is that the materials presented are basically esoteric and one
>has to as KH puts it "come to us or settle for crumbs". A
>third reason was the general disrespect for Eastern thought at
>Blavatsky's time where the philosophy needed to be presented as
>a body of theories rather than as spiritual teachings so that
>westerners would not out-of-hand reject them without reading
>and considering what was in the books.
>
>>In practice there is going to be some who cannot get out of
>>their shell of screening others and grading for book knowledge
>>due perhaps to long standing habit.
>
>Or out of their shell of rejecting as 'mere book worms' those
>who give serious attention to the theosophical books. The act
>of rejecting the books is not necessarily a sign of spiritual
>progress.
>
>>After all any amount of orthodoxy and book knowledge is of no
>>substitute for implementation of theosophical knowledge in
>>our minute to minute action with the welfare of our fellow
>>beings as the foundation. If all the knowledge and information
>>does not aid in helping our fellow beings they are just another
>>intellectual exercise satisfying the self.
>
>Yes. We need to make the knowledge a living part of our lives
>and to use it as part of a spiritual practice. The book-learning
>is nothing without a *deeper study* alongside with a *living
>practice*.
>
>-- Eldon

Eldon:

Glad we agree. It is this kind of agreeing on some of the very
fundamental items that makes Theosophical students unique.

Hope the cyberspace will enable more discussion and exchange of
ideas and views and opinions.

..doss

PS: I would like to see more of the officers of the various TS
groups sign up here and participate in the discussions. If any of them do
not have computer knowledge or expertise or computer illiterate I am
willing to share my knowledge and expertise. I am only a call away. I can be
reached at 1-800-615-1710 work and 1-800-693-3365 Home - anytime. The
call will be on my dime!!!