Re: parochial schools

Nov 23, 1995 02:52 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Doss:
> I guess blind indoctrination is what is generally accepted as you do
>not have to think. Just believe. Thinking takes time and energy.

Yes and many religous structures do not condone individual thinking. It is
considered hazardous especially if all the members came to different
conclusions about various spiritual and practical aspects of life. That's what
got the gnostics into trouble. Thinking against the accepted norm can be
dangerous to your salvation . . . and your physical form.

> Some months ago one of the 08 yr old child of one of my co-workers
>started questioning the what was told at their church about what happens to
>everone after death. To the little boy who was obviously using his logic
>it did not make sense. So I told the boy's mother to let me speak to the
>child for about 1/2 hour and told her I could give a possible hypothesis
>based on Theosophy. I told her no one can be certain as what we all have
>is not first hand knowledge. The mother was frightened that if her child
>spoke with me he might end up completely rejecting what the parents and the
>church wanted him to believe. I never had a chance to talk to the child.

As children we are pretty much "owned" by our parents and there is little that
can be done about it. It is only when we are past twenty-one and able to
financially support our own chosen lifestyle that we can be free to think and
believe what we wish. Since the child you mentioned is so interested in life
after death at an early age maybe he will explore it later when he is older and
freer to come to his own conclusions and do his own research.

- ann