Re: Theosophy International

Nov 22, 1995 03:05 PM
by guru

Eldon:

> As it is described ..... TI is basically a T.S. without any
> theosophical doctrines. Any belief goes. The agenda follows
> that of the Adyar T.S.

Any reason why it should not? It also updates it and at the
same time remains in sympathy with the *original* unitary TS of
1875 - Adyar does not need to come into it. Mind you if the
International President wants to sign up :-

> Let's contrast that with the approach
> taken by the Theosophical Network. The Statement of Purpose
> published in the Spring 1985 "Theosophical Network Newsletter"
> reads:
>
> The purpose of the Theosophical Network is to disseminate
> information about Theosophy and theosophical activities and
> to facilitate intercommunication between people who share a
> common interest in Theosophy.
>
> The goals of the Theosophical Network are a to enhance
> communication and encourage interrelating of ideas within
> the Theosophical Movement and b to encourage initiative
> and cooperation in similar projects and research.
>
> To further these goals the Theosophical Network will a
> publish a quarterly newsletter b publish an annual
> directory and c provide a computer information service.
>
> While working cooperatively within the Movement the
> Theosophical Network is independent and unaffiliated
> with any Theosophical or other organization.

The 1875 TS would not have quarreled with most of this I
shoudn't think. Trouble is those who came after *did*.

> >There are fees no subscriptions although voluntary
> >donations and/or contributions *could* be made to specific
> >projects or even individuals for particular and specified
> >purposes.
>
> This part is fine.

Yep.

> >As THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL does not have and does not
> >need rules whether anyone participates in or supports any such
> >activity is an entirely personal matter.
>
> If it doesn't need rules why the same three objects as the T.S.?
> Why not take a broader approach like that taken by the Theosophical
> Network?

Not the same. Similar.

Be logical: If it doesn't need rules and doesn't define
objects it doesn't have any reason to exist. From what I have
seen in "official" theosophical publications in recent times
the same approach as the ~Network~ is now the regular approach.

Is the Theosophical Network still networking? If so I have
seen no sign of it. The broad-based "Adyar" and I am told
ULT approach is still going but it could do with a booster
shot or two.

Quiting from the Autumn 1989 issue of the ~Theosophical
Network~:

"The Network is dedicated to Theosophy as outlined in the Mahatma
Letters to A.P.Sinnett and the writings of H.P.Blavatsky."

That's too narrow a prescription for me as it is for a number
of other theosophically-minded folk.

I thought we had all moved on from the "Back to Blavatsky"
movement? TI can incorporate such a viewpoint however. The
reverse clearly is not the case. I rest mine.

Alan.
--
Please send E-mail to: guru@nellie2.demon.co.uk