Re:Re: on pets

Nov 09, 1995 08:11 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Eldon:
>You have an advantage over your cats. In a relationship with them
>you can completely control their lives . . .

You haven't lived with many cats. One cat we owned used to wake my husband up
by biting his nose.

Also there is a certain amount of maintenance and service to a properly kept
pet. Dogs return the favor by keeping watch and cats return the favor by
ridding your place of rodents.

>Whatever environment we find ourselves in -- we adapt to it. The
>same for cats or animals. But how does the nieghborhood compare
>to a completely wild setting without human artifacts?

Depends on the animal. Lions and tigers definitely belong in the wild but
domesticated animals need to live in harmony with people. The native habitat of
the domestic cat is Africa where it is warm. In Chicago many freeze to death
in our cold winters. Right now mine are huddled up against the heating vent
since it was 20 degrees and snowing this morning.

I think the ideal environment for the domestic pet is a farm with lots of room
to roam without getting knocked off by a car and a nice comfy home in the barn
or house. The urban setting isn't the best but it is becoming more and more
the norm. Farms are on the wane as opposed to what they must have been in
Purucker's day.

>Sad. Hopefully he'll find rebirth in a better environment perhaps
>one day on Globe E with the rest of the animal lifewave.

Maybe he wanted to have one wild Scorpion life before he became a home-loving
tabby.. :-

>The idea about not keeping pets is also found in the writings of
>Blavatsky and not solely Purucker. In "The Inner Group Teachings"
>page 116 we find:
>"People who bestow great affection upon animal pets are ensouling
>them to a certain extent and such animal Souls progress very
>rapidly; in return such persons get back the animal vitality and
>magnetism. It is however against Nature thus to accentuate animal
>evolution and on the whole is bad."

Sorry. I just can't buy this. Neither can I - LFD

>When we shift our attention away from animals and consider plants
>there does not seem to be any prohibition against keeping house
>plants.

Don't have any. My cats destroyed them all. :-

- ann

Chouchou has one plant on the floor with which she's allowed to do
whatever she wishes. In exchange she has to keep off my other
plants. That worked out just fine until she decided to dig around a
bit in my Norfolk Island Pine so I covered its soil with newspaper
& that solved my problem.

Liesel