Re: To be a Theosophist

Nov 01, 1995 08:08 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Eldon:< People leave theosophical groups after finding
nothing there that is spiritual nourishing to them because
it's hard to create a self-devised practice through
Theosophy as it's currently taught.>

I think you hit the nail on its head here. There
simply is no real theosophical path to tread other than that
of karma yoga of doing good deeds like some kind of boy/girl
scout for many lifetimes - which requires more faith than
Christianity when it says to do this and you will gain heaven.
Most people don't have that kind of faith. Tell them that
their actions in this life will be rewarded in the next and they
see you as one more religion. While we can also practice
a kind of jnana yoga via the Secret Doctrine few if any
have done this successfully.
Tibetan Buddhism on the other
hand teaches us that we can become Adepts in this very life.
It is hard. It is accomplished only by the few and brave of
heart. But it can be done. Once we start treading the path
and living the life to gain this objective many kindle the
spiritual light within them not really attaining Adepthood
but something just as significant in their lives. They will
also build the faith that is needed to wait for future lives.
I see the TSs as too conservative and this turns many
away. However it is my understanding that the TSs have
already accepted low memberships and have rationalized
this in terms of quality over quantity which has some truth
to it. So I don't think they care much.

Eldon:< My recommendation is that theosophical groups
carefully examine the successful Eastern religious traditions
and formulate one or more practices for Westerners to
join that can provide *genuine* training that can
truly act as an entry to the Mysteries.>

The problem with this approach is that it smacks
of becoming "halls of magic." First of all what is "genuine
training" and who amonst theosophists would know it if
they saw it? Raja yoga is probably the best vehicle but
even this is tricky. I use and like kundalini yoga but
can't recommend it to others because of the dangers involved.
I agree with you in principle. Maybe you can come up with
some feasible methodologies?

Jerry S.