Re: Dribble box

Oct 26, 1995 06:02 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

> Dr. Bain:
> >*Dribble box*??? Please enlighten this ignorant Brit!
>
> A highly personal term which I used to describe the steady trickle of nonsense
> that is called net work television. In the US, we're inundated with soap
> operas, talk shows and TV tabloids. These days, the network executives and
> sponsors think the public is mesmerized by every sleazy detail of
> every person's life, famous and not-so-famous. And the ratings
> have proved them right.
>
> The public television channel here in Chicago shows reruns of
> Britain's Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances and
> Masterpiece Theater, along with British mysteries. How is
> television in the UK? My husband and I used to love Dr. Who.
>
> - ann

AAhh! We are getting into the dribble box era too these days.
I think Masterpiece Theater is a US term for British "better
stuff" - I did see one play when I was in Illinois in 1985.

Keeping Up Appearances is into a new series here at the present
time, and we never miss an episode! Most of the cast of Are You
Being Served are now dead! Generally, though our TV output
offers a better selection than the National Enquirer .....

Alan