re: re historical and doctrinal

Oct 25, 1995 05:26 PM
by Bee Brown

>JHE
> When I was studying theosophy in the early 70's, my teacher
>assigned Purucker's ~Fundamental of the Esoteric Philosophy~ and
>told me not to go on to the next chapter until I felt that I had
>mastered the preceding one. I read every chapter at least twice-
>-some I read three and even four times before continuing. The
>book is a series of 48 lectures on ~The Secret Doctrine.~ Though
>he discusses teachings that are not in the ~SD~ (such as the
>twelve globe chain), I believe it to be an important introductory
>book into the ~SD~, and may make the eventual study of the ~SD~
>easier.
>
>I must also add that when I finished ~Fundamentals~ I came to a
>realization concerning the nature of theosophical teachings that
>cannot be put into words. I can only say that it has to do with
>the teachings being inward, outward, above and below. I know
>others have had the same realization after reading this book, and
>they know exactly what I'm talking about. I also found this same
>realization in the ~SD~, but it is in ~Fundamentals~ where I was
>really struck with it. Please let me know if this is the book
>you are reading, and if you have this experience too.
>
>Thanks
>Jerry HE

Just finished Vol 1 of The Esoteric Tradition and about to start Studies in
Occult Philosophy. I will certainly look for the one you mentioned as I
think we have most of his stuff in our library. I just love the way he
explains things. Why did I not get to him earlier? It has been my research
into elemetals that actually began with him on the recommendation of our
librarian. I hope to conduct a 6 week workshop on elementals, about 1-2 hour
session per week. I am hooked on the idea of the habit forming aspects and
the implications for addiction. I am half packed to go away but I cannot
resist the theo-l so I will buzz.
Many thanks, Bee