re: historical and doctrinal

Oct 25, 1995 09:46 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

> Eldon,

[Massive snip]

> JHE
> >Just read the books and parrot the teachings until you can put
> >them into your own words. This had been done for years and is
> >IMHO DEAD.

As a dodo.

[Not quite so massive snip]

> JHE
> >From an historical approach, the questions of veracity;
> >how people are affected by the teachings; and how one
> >is personally affected by the teachings are the important
> >questions.

VERY important questions. If I tell you a lie in one subject,
how are you to know if I am teeling the truth in another? *The
same criterion applies to HPB, AB, CWL, and so on - and *also*
to the Masters themselves. I will post an item on the Masters
when I can find it in my files .....

[More snippin']

> JHE
> >Personally, I prefer as much as possible not to lean on
> >that which I cannot confirm.

AMEN

> EBT
> Except where your "reasoned certainity" comes into play,
> where you have granted the status of authority to someone
> that you are studying, based upon your assumption that the
> teacher in question knows that he or she is talking about.
>
> JHE
> No. The authority remains with me, and the reasoned
> certainty is mine alone: because it was earned through my own
> efforts of enquiry and experience. Any "status of authority"
> that I may grant to anyone else is highly conditional and subject
> to my own authority.

MORE AMEN

> JHE
> >If and when I learn to astral project to the snowy Himalayas and
> >have tea with the Mahachohan every other thursday afternoon,
> I'll let you know.
>
> EBT
> Now here's something that I would have trouble with, were you
> to say this. If you *really* did such a thing, you'd likely
> know to keep your mouth shut, and not say a word about.
>
> JHE
> Exactly

Err... I already booked Thursday afternoons :-)

[Guess what]

> JHE
> Right. But remember, we only know the "content" by the
> garbs. However, by an historical approach, we can see the same
> contents in different garbs, and by comparison gives up insight
> into what is behind those garbs. Get my drift?

Quite. I can come visit you dressed as a cop. That doesn't
make me a cop.

[GIANT SNIP]

> Jerry HE

Alan