Re: doctrinal and historical approaches

Oct 21, 1995 03:00 PM
by Bee Brown

>Eldon, thanks for defending the position of us revelationers.
>
>I appreciate all of the theosophical historians, but so far,
>I agree with you and can't see how history can help us
>understand or live the Teachings any better. Without
>assimilating the heart-doctrine, its seems to me that all you
>have is the dead letter. Meanwhile, I am reading your
>fencing with Jerry HE with great interest. On the other
>hand, I am pleased to hear Jerry's historical position
>as it allows us all to see where the historians are
>coming from. For one thing, I have to say that the
>historians seem to have the healthiest perspective
>of the Mahatmas. Historians don't idolize them, or
>deify them, as many non-historians do.
>
>Thanks to both of you.
>
>Question to Jerry HE - How do you envision that
>defining 'theosophy" as the "ancient wisdom" is
>going to help solve our communication problems
>on theos-l? You seem to be defining one nebulous
>word with two other nebulous words, which doesn't
>help much.
>
>But I do think if we can agree on a list of doctrines
>like reincarnation, cycles, and karma, that we
>will be getting at least somewhere. So far, we can't even
>agree on what are the "source teachings" let alone what
>are the "source doctrines." And, maybe it really
>doesn't matter (?).
>
> Jerry S.
Hi to you all,
I have been mainly lurking on this list for the past couple of months
because I enjoy the discussions and the knowledge I have gained but it is
too highbrow for me to feel tempted to join in. It is like the ant trying to
say hello to the elephant. Could we not have a Theo chat list where the ants
could chat about lesser Theological concern or exchange ideas that are not
so lofty. The involved discussions going on by just a few on the list makes
me wonder where are the rest and do they perhaps feel a bit daunted by it
all, like me. I don't think I am unintelligent as I understand much of the
neat stuff you talk about but my grasp of the Theo doctrines are not as
clear or accessible for involved discussion. I will understand if noone
agrees with me and will just keep lurking. I do not mean any offense by my
comments as I do appreciate the ongoing discussions.
Bee. >

Bee Brown........Senile.Com found, - out of memory.