Self & Maya

Oct 11, 1995 04:02 PM
by Richtay

Jerry S. writes,

> Individualization is the goal of the personal self. However, it is an
illusion
> or maya, and cannot ever be attained because the Self, and thus self-
> consciousness, is a maya.

Say what? The Self is Maya? I thought that everything was "Maya" (illusion)
EXCEPT the Self or Atman? That's what the Bhagavad-Gita seems to teach, and
the original Theosophical thinkers seem to follow that path.

I agree with "Coherence" (who lately joined the list -- welcome!) that the
Atman is from our perspective "passive" and thus not self-conscious. Rather,
the teachings (which Coherence selects) seem to point to Manas as the seat of
self-consciousness, and Atma-Buddhi as substratum, support, backdrop of
evolution. Have I gotten it all messed up?

Rich