Predictions?

Oct 11, 1995 02:04 PM
by Don DeGracia

Liesel

<The trouble is that if a scientist makes a prediction, he is liketly
to look for proofs that will validate his prediction, & he will
ignore (not one purpose) other factors, because they don't prove his
prediction.>

This is a pretty weak scientist who does this. Any scientist knows that the
best test of an idea is to try to find as many ways as possible to INVALIDATE
it. If an idea can stand up against repeated tests to invalidate it, then the
idea probably has merit. This, is actually how most practicing scientists work.
This is precisely how we work in my laboratory. Professional scientists do this
to each other reguarly - that is - attempt to invalidate each other's ideas.
This is how the game is played, and we are all comfortable with it. We are out
to understand Nature, not get on some ego trip. Any *real* scientist is not at
all afraid that you try to disprove her ideas.

Don