koans, from WWW

Oct 09, 1995 05:27 AM
by Liesel F. Deutsch

My 1st evening on Dreamscape, they have an easy browser for WWW &
I've been vrowsing through Buddhist things. Found 2 koans I thought
you'd enjoy, so here they are:

"2 sages were standing on a bridge over a stream. One said to the
other,"I wish I were a fish. They are so happy." The other replied
"How do you know whether fish are happy, or not? You're not a fish."
The first one said "But you're not me, so how do you know whether or
not I know how fish feel?"

Joshu asked the teacher Nansen,"What is the True Way?"
Nansen answered, "Every way is the true Way."
Joshu asked "Can I study it?"
Nansen asnwered, "the more you study, the further from the Way."
Joshu asked, "If I don't study it, how can I know it?"
Nansen answered,"The Way does not belong to things seen: nor to
things unsee. It does not belong to things known: nor to things
unknown. Do not seek it, study it, or name it. To find yourself on
it. open yourself as wide as the sky."