Re: re: on CWL

Oct 02, 1995 03:44 AM
by Richtay

Thom writes:

> The whole concept of a "next Messenger" is liable to produce more conflict
and
> delusion than it's worth (just as the concept of a Messiah does). I don't
know
> why H.P.B. even brought it up.
This may be. What is curious to me is why nearly every major movement seems
to bring it up. Christianity expects the second coming. Zoroastrians have
long expected their Soishyant, and the Jews the Messiah. Buddhists expect
Maitreya, and Hindus, the Kalki Avatar. Muhammed is the "Seal of the
Prophets" and when he comes again, it is THE END. Many native American
tribes expected a Messenger to lead them away from the White Man's
Destruction, and millenial movements (often called "cargo-cults" in African
communities) have expected Jesus or another Savior to help them.

What is HPB up to when she mentions that in one hundred years (i.e. 1975)
another Messenger(s) will arrive for the West? What is merely her hope?
 Part of a "plan"? Merely an allegory of the cyclic nature of things?

Rich