Re: To Aki re steiner-l

Sep 27, 1995 10:57 AM
by Mark A. Foster

Folks -

 I apologize for jumping into this discussion as a brand new
subscriber (as of two hours ago <g>). However, I am impressed with the
high level of discourse that I have observed so far. It is really quite
refreshing. I have been on many lists where the typical postings are of
low quality and name-calling is normative.

 I enjoyed reading the short posting on Anthroposophy as a form of
Theosophy (which of course it is) and the need for a dialogue framed
around commonly held ideas. As the writer alluded to, the ecumenical
movement has made some important inroads in this direction - and not
only among Protestants (viz., the National Conference of Christians and
Jews). There is certainly no reason why this model could not be followed
among groups with Theosophical roots.

 However, as I see it, the major focus of ecumenism has been on
common points of doctrine and on service projects. I once belonged to an
ecumenical organization, and, in this particular case, even doctrine was
rarely discussed. Instead, the emphasis was on soup kitchens and
homeless shelters. IMO, whatever value their activities may have had,
and I was pleased with the work and with the level of dedication of
those in the organization, it stopped short of my vision of
inter-religious dialogue.

 From my perspective, discussions between, say, the Theosophical
Society, the United Lodge, and the Anthroposophical Society should be on
the level of the Noosphere, the Akasha, the Kingdom of Heaven Within,
the (Neo-) Platonic world of forms, or New Thought's Universal Mind. In
short, what is the commonality of mystical experience and how can it be
tangibly expressed in service to humanity? As I see it, the the emphasis
should be on mystical awareness and its practical implications - not on
the rational plane of linguistic contradictions.

 Blessings,

 Mark
*Mark A. Foster, Ph.D., Sociologist of Religion *
*President (1995), Kansas Sociological Society *
*Kansas Director, Foundation for the Science of Reality *
*Founding President, Two-Year College Sociological Society *
*Address: Department of Sociology, Johnson County Community College *
* 12345 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS 66210-1299 U.S.A. *
*Phones: 913/469-8500, ext.3376 (Office) and 913/768-4244 (Home) *
*Fax: 913/469-4409 Science of Reality BBS: 913/768-1113 (8-N-1; 14.4 kbps) *
*Email: mfoster@tyrell.net or mfoster@jccnet.johnco.cc.ks.us (Internet) *
* 72642,3105 (Staff on Three CompuServe Religion Forums) *
* Realityman (America Online Ethics and Religion Forum Remote Staff) *
* UWMG94A (Prodigy) RealityDude (Microsoft) Realityman (Interchange) *

___
* UniQWK #2141* Structuralists Know the Lingo ;-)