Re: CWL

Sep 27, 1995 05:14 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

According to Ann E. Bermingham:

> Jerry HE:
> >The tragedy of this case (IMHO) is how Narayaniah's own
> >wishes and concerns over his own children were disregarded in
> >favor of higher "occult" purposes.
>
> My questions are: Were the children ever consulted on whether they wanted to
> live with Besant and did they understand they were being groomed
> for some great work?

My understanding is that both were firmly in favor of remaining
with Besant and Leadbeater. By this time, they were of college
age so being returned to their father was an unappealing
prospect. Both were loyal Theosophists.

 If Krishnamurti was never truly dedicated to the ideas of Besant and
> Leadbeater, then it's no wonder he bailed out. There's a big
> difference between whole-hearted sacrifice and being
> "volunteered" by someone else.

Considering how young he was when "discovered" I'm not sure
it's meaningful to talk about him making a choice.

> Lately, I've thought that maybe Krishnamurti did everyone a favor
> by deciding to dissolve the movement. After becoming a exalted
> figure of salvation, he got up and told everyone he wasn't playing
> the game anymore. He told his followers to get out of the cart
> and start pushing their own enlightenment.
>
> I'm sure it's much more complicated than this, so I'd appreciate any comments.
>
> - ann
IMHO it's the only thing that saved the TS from being left
"stranded on some sandbank of thought or other, to moulder and
to die" to (mis?)quote HPB in the Key. Krishnamurti
administered a shock that turned things back in the right
direction-- VERY gradually. John Algeo's review of a new
Krishnamurti book in the AT quotes Radha Burnier as expressing
the same view.

Cheers
Paul
PS-- Glad you're back.